Sunday, September 10, 2006

 

Missed Some of You at the GSDG Auction!

These were the blooms on Sunday, 9/10 that I brought to the auction; Little Wine Cup, Cleopatra, Siloam Plum Tree, Happy Returns (left 2), Big Time Happy (right 2), and bottom center is Elfin Stella. I just got Cleopatra this year, and learned I'd better mulch it well for the winter , since it is borderline hardy in our zone, as is it's sister Volusian Spider. This is one advantage to belonging to a club like
Garden State Daylily Growers- we help each other learn what grows and doesn't in our area.

Origin Stories (Margo Reed, 2005) bloomed September 7 and 10 off the SECOND proliferation produced this year! A friend is already trying to root the first, and I am going to try to get the second prolif to grow- wish me luck, because I've never done it before.
Here's some of the 2 dozen or so bidders at the 2006 auction, where about 5 dozen plants were auctioned off for about (my estimate, not official) half their hybridizer's list prices. About 1/3 were 2005 intros, and 10% 2006's, but another 10% plus were under $25 "list" price, and I think half the winning bids were $25 or less. Another membership benefit: picking up great cultivars for a fraction of what they're worth! We don't try to make money on the auction, just break even.



September 7 crop from my garden included Big Time Happy, Sunset Returns, Origin Stories, Cleopatra, Little Wine Cup, Stella, Happy, and Rosy Returns.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?