Sunday, June 29, 2008

 

First and Favorite Daylily Blooms June 29


First bloom was yesterday, but I took that to Garden State Daylily Growers' Daylily Day and didn't get a picture. Night Embers is a favorite of mine; I still remember the first time I saw it, at the GSDG auction at Betty Harwood's house.
Stephanie Returns put out an almost photogenic bloom today. Not one of my favorites, but I can see why lots of people like it- reverse bitone, veining and midribs, respectable eye and greenish throat. And because Centerton markets it, it doesn't cost the fortune you often pay for designer genes.
Topguns Lola Scott put out its first double bloom today- I think it has singled once or twice. But this is a home run. Mary Lovasz got me to take Hem. 'Mount Helena' yesterday at Daylily Day by saying it "looks a lot like Topguns Lola Scott". That's a pretty high compliment.
I didn't get Primal Scream until last year because I couldn't see spending "that kind of money" for an ORANGE daylily. Hanson 1994, 14 years ago and still the lowest Eureka price for a double fan is $25.00 ; & worth it!
The little bee landing on Steve Trimmer was pure serendipity. I had about 150 cultivars blooming today (almost 20% of my collection) so it must be pretty close to midseason. Sorry I can't post them all.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?