Wednesday, September 17, 2008

 

GSDG Auction & Where I Put Them

Do you have a problem with voles, tree roots, or both? This is my equivalent to planting a pot in the ground, but with better drainage. The black "sack" is known as a "tree bag"; the inside is treated to keep tree roots from penetrating the bag in the nursery. I turn it inside out to keep tree roots from growing INTO the bag, then encase the bag in 1/4" wire cloth to keep voles out. The wire has to extend a couple inches above the ground, but the bag must be buried or it wicks moisture away from the plant. In places I just have voles OR roots, I'll use one or the other.
These were blooming the day of the DVDS Sale & Auction. Top row Just Plum Happy, Carolicollosal, Be Thankful, Grape Magic and Showtime Now. Bottom = Stella, Happy Returns, Little Wine Cup, Siloam Double Fringe, and Commanche Maiden.
I bought more plants at the auction than I had space for, so I was finally forced to get rid of this pile of dirt that's been sitting here for over a year, to build the ramp to the right hand garage door you see in the background. But after filling in the ramp (at right, below), I still had a big ol' pile of dirt left. So rather than move it, I built this block wall around the remaining pile and got a raised bed for my DVDS and GSDG auction wins.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?