Friday, March 19, 2010

 

Early July Favorite Daylilies

Twisted Mint Julip first full open. Dan Hansen 07 36EM8 Tet. A Desert Icicle kid, diamond dusted UF. How could I possibly improve on this? Well, it doesn't rebloom. But I crossed it with my tet stipples unless none were blooming; then I crossed it with a Northern reblooming Tet.
How Beautiful Heaven Must Be, universally known by its acronym HBHMB. Jack Carpenter scored with this; it lives up to the name! 26EMRe7.5 Tet registered in 2002 and still selling for $30 - $50! But I'd like to see little dots all over it, while keeping the base color and edge. Is that sacrilegeous?

Party Pinafore ffo 7/8. Kirby 99 20EM5 Dormant Dip. Jack Carpenter converted this to a Tet, and has introduced several of its kids, if this isn't pretty enough for you. I crossed it with stripes, because my brain is obviously damaged. Like crossing Jessica Simpson with Dave Letterman.

Pirate Beads ffo July 8. Another Pennsylvania native (Kendig 02) 21M5.5 Tet Evergreen. The edge gets better after the first day. Nice eye and edge, it just needs some purple dots on that nice white surface!

It's all in the eyes of Julie Newmar (click on the photo for a full sized view, then zoom in!) Morss 2000 32ERe7 Evr Tet.

Lies & Lipstick (Kinnebrew 03) 25EMRe5.5 Tet is an example of what happens when a Southern-bred daylily grows in the North. Look at the photos on Tinkers Daylily Database http://db.tinkersgardens.com/ and Kinnebrew's site and the edge will be three times as wide for photos taken in Florida. But it's still pretty pretty.
Lavender Suspenders (Don Herr 02) 48M8.5 is Pennsylvania born and bred dormant Tet. Big and tall, I'm crossing it with stripes and stipples.
This is Pat Cochenour's Screamcicle in DVDS VP Jacque DeJesse's garden. 2003 35EMRe8 Dormant Tet. From Primal Scream by Outrageous, an inspered cross of a 7.5" screaming orange to a 4.5" screaming orange with an eye, and getting an even bigger screaming orange with an eye.
I saw this in three Delaware Valley Daylily Society members' gardens in 2008 and 2009, and every time it stopped me in my tracks. I have one on order for 2010. Raven Woodsong (Ned Roberts 04) 40M7 Sev Dip. Doesn't have rebloom or great bud count (registered 4/14) but I've gotta have it!
Memories of Oz First Full Open (ffo) July 6. K. Herrington 01 Dormant Diploid. 40MRe9 Spider, not UF. Gets prettier after the first day; I like the veins and since it's a Diploid, I crossed it with stripes (all 3 of my striped daylilies are Dips) as well as stipples. I'll cross this one's kids with Katisue Herrington's 2010 stippled UF intro Alabama Sweet Tee I'm ordering this week.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?