Thursday, March 18, 2010

 

More Good Late June FFO Daylilies

Shores of Time (Stamile 02) 26EMRe5.5 just came this year, so I hope it's hardy in Zone 6. It's expensive for a 2002 but I think it's worth it. Available 2010 at Sassafrass and Peace for $25df.
Dynamite Returns was one of the last everblooming "Happy Ever Appster" daylilies introduced by Darrell Apps before he retired to Wisconsin. It's Romantic Returns by Red Hot Returns, Registered 2007 Dip 17EMRe4 with 4 branches, 36 buds. He said it's his best reblooming red so far. Available at nurseries carrying Centerton Nursery offerings, which also include the "Trophytaker" series and "Blew Label" perennials. I found it outbloomed both parents, and even Rosy Returns.

Another Apps/Blew (registered 2004 but not introduced till 2007 or 8) which I love is Mean Mister Mustard, Tet 26EMRe5.5 registered as 4 branches, 24 buds. Remember these are New Jersey bud counts, NOT South Florida. My impression is that you can take a couple of buds and 1/8 inch off the edge for every 100 miles north of the breeder. Anybody got a more scientific analysis? Anyway, as a "stipple freak" I love the eye on Mean Mister Mustard, and I crossed it with a couple of Tet stipples.

Beautiful Edgings (Copenhaver 89) 30MRe7 Dip is an oldie but it's a budbuilder, which makes it great for hybridizers like me who don't freeze pollen. I crossed this with every Diploid stipple I could, hoping for something "edgy" in a couple of generations.

Bali Watercolor is a Tet (Stamile 02) 35MRe9 and interesting veined petals, but I'd like to see those sepals stippled. But I'm not kicking this one out of my bed.




Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?