Monday, March 15, 2010

 

Tet Stippled Daylilies- Purple on Lavender

Macro of Drop Cloth (Salter 95) 28M5.5 which has a cream base color. I love the name- makes the color "defects" into a positive characteristic!
Clump of Drop Cloth. Almost every major hybridizer has introduced ONE stipple, but (almost) none have introduced two. That alone tells me that stipples must be a really recessive trait, so I'm going to have to cross the "F1" seedlings (first generation) with other stipples or kids of stipples and only a small percentage of those will be stipples. Stipples are the blue-eyed natural blonds of the daylily world.

Connect the Dots (Jerabek 02) 25MRe5.75 has lots going for it: decent size, uniform dot distribution, bred in Indianapolis (cold-hardy) with some rebloom and some diamond dusting.


I think China Veil (Munson 89) 30EMRe6 is my favorite lavender-ish stipple. It has a "washed" lighter eyezone that my others don't.


Seurat (Moldovan 90) 26MRe6 suggests the painter's style, but the stippling isn't as distinctive as the others, especially on the sepals. So that's my breeding pool from my first year of pollen-dabbing; 9 Tet Stipples, half a dozen Dip Stipples, and 3 Stripes. Now I have to plant the seeds and wait 2-3 years for them to bloom before I get any feedback. Then I'll have to cross the best seedlings to try to bring out that recessive stipple characteristic. Since I'm on the slippery side of sixty (it's all downhill from here!) my goal is to help expand the stipple gene pool for younger hybridizers. So if you're under 50 and hybridizing stipples, let me know and I'll put you in my will.





Comments:
How about Royal Speckles (Mitchell 06)? If you scroll down, there's a picture on my blog here: http://gottagarden.blogspot.com/2009/07/mid-lates.html

Take a look at Faux Finish (Santa Lucia) introduced this year at Iron Gate Gardens...very interesting and great price for a brand new intro...

I like speckles, too! I always thought it would be cool to have multicolored speckles...ha, don't know if it's possible...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?