Sunday, June 06, 2010

 

More Pretty Early Daylilies

Blackberry Jack first blooms, and I got two! Trimmer 02, 22EMRe6.
Sunshine on Clouds first bloom. This will also be at the GSDG 2010 auction (see earlier post). Mike Huben 06, 26ERe4.5 is more yellow than some of his other intros, but it's a bud builder, which means a long season. Other budbuilders are Beautiful Edgings, Apps' Final Touch, and Iktomi. The last two are late bloomers.

First Peace Out, Jim Murphy 07, 43E6 Dip. Today I got lucky; my double stipple Happy Hooligan had a pistil! But no pollen. BUT- my second double stipple, Mark's Bouquet, had 3 stamens (but no pistil)! So I got to cross the two. And had plenty of leftover DIP pollen for this one and the other Diploids below. It's a Sunday- did somebody pray for me?


First bloom on Dynamite Returns! This is Apps/Blew 07, and Lois-Anne Burek talked me into splitting one with her, because I had ALL the other "Returns" series. It's Romantic Returns by Red Hot Returns, and since I had both, why did I need another red? It has grown on me; better rebloom and the color reminds me of satin sheets. I still owe LAB her half, because I tried to split the 4 fans in the ground, to minimize shock to "my half". And I totally severed two offshoots, with no roots attached. From now on every clump comes out of the ground for dividing.

First bloom today for Megan Skinner's 1999 intro, Extended Twilight. Yes, it got pollinated with Mark's Bouquet. Imagine this spotted! Claim to fame is 26-hour bloom (technically nocturnal extended bloom). Only downside is if it rains overnight. And if you deadhead at night, you've got to remember not to do the new blooms. But it's almost like having twice as many blooms, because the new blooms open in the evening before the day-old blooms close up!

Rather average looking gold daylily isn't it? But this photo was taken from two inches away! This is Demitasse, an honest two inches small.

"And now for something completely different." I love this combination of short tawny lilies in the Sagae hosta. Total accident, of course. The lilies were left over from my father-in-law's plantings 20 years ago, and I just put this Sagae here to test one of 3 sun exposures (morning, afternoon, and filtered all day). Results? Inconclusive. So when we move to Pittsburgh this summer, I'm planting the 3 hosta together in a triangle, underplanted with these lillies.






Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?