Wednesday, June 09, 2010

 

Raven Woodsong and other Great June Daylilies

My MUST HAVE for 2010 first bloomed today. I saw this in three DVDS Club members' gardens and it stopped me in my tracks every time. It's Raven Woodsong, a 2004 Ned Roberts intro 40M7 Diploid Sev. This came from Florida, so it's earlier this year; how can I cross this?
First bloom today on Lunacy (Morss 03) 32EM6.5 Wouldn't this be a great cross with Raven Woodsong? Kid's name could be RAVEN LUNATIC! Unfortunately, this is a Tet, RL is a Dip. RATS! So I crossed it with Julie Newmar, another complex eye.

Got one bloom on Mark's Bouquet today, but rain was predicted for late AM, so I just harvested the 6 stamens and brought them indoors. It's a double, but this photo makes it look like a poly- 4 petals and 4 sepals. This one also has 4 pistils- that would be one weird looking seed pod if all 4 got pollinated.

If rain wasn't predicted, I would have crossed Mark's Bouquet with this Siloam Double Classic; see the pistil?



And I would have crossed Double Mandarin (Apps 95, 27EMRe4) with Mark's Bouquet if this had a pistil. Siloam Double Classic is one of its parents.

Small Tempest first bloom today. Liz Salter 2000, 22MRe3.5 Sev Tet. How are we getting Midseason bloomers so early? Philadelphia just had the hottest April and May on record.

First bloom on Julie Newmar (Morss 2000, 32ERe7 Evr Tet). Crossed this with Lunacy (see above) with it's complex eye. But since it started raining a couple hours later, I don't expect anything.

First bloom on Painter's Splash, an old (82) Gilbert Wild. But it's registered at 8.5 inches, so I'd love to see if I can stipple it.

Not first bloom, but this is a good example of Mary Alice Stokes (Dan Hansen 01, 25ERe5.25) Sev Tet.

Terry Lyninger is yellow, but I love this eye pattern. Jack Carpenter 03, 24ERE5.5 Evr Dip.

I've posted other photos of Hold Your Horses this year, but I'm REALLY impressed with its look and performance. Held up in rain too.

Malachite Prism (Doorakian 99) first bloom didn't recurve one petal, but I've gotten it through 3 winters in Philadelphia, even though it has the reputation of being tender for Zone 6. Strange, since it was hybridized near Boston. I've heard some daylilies will survive where there's reliable snow cover, but not in our severe freeze/thaw cycling.

First Little Wine Cup. An oldie, but the "original" non-yellow reliable rebloomer. Carter/Paul 69, 20ERe2 Dor Dip. Stella was registered 6 years after this.

Francois Verhaert not first bloom, but doesn't look bad today.


Finally, first Jazzy Graphics, a bicolor Dan Hansen 99, 24ERe4.5 Sev Tet. Other first blooms but not photogenic enough for publication were Tennessee Flycatcher, Bridal Path, Chaco Canyon, Inky Fingers, Egyptian Queen, Siloam Russell Morgan, and Goldmist Red.














Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?